Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Atlanta!

The second stop of our six weeks in the States was the Macby Drive Hyatt, also known as Angel's parents' house. This is the ultimate relaxation destination. Our two weeks there were spent sleeping in, enjoying the pool, getting back into a workout schedule (Nick), collecting more baby items, narrowing our list of baby names, and running errands to collect all of the valuable items that you can't find in the Middle East.

Here is the pregnant swimsuit model who has accompanied me throughout our travels. Her bump continues to grow, as well as wiggle and kick - which is one of the most exciting things for a dad to be to see.

You may also notice the hind legs of an expert water sportsman in the background. Notice the experienced stance as I attempt to tame the Bean, an inflatable ab workout device turned pool toy which is nearly impossible to ride while floating in the water.

We had a lot of fun hanging out with Angel's family. Here Angel's brother Paul shares a dip in the pool with his dog Riley. Both are a lot of fun to hang out with, but one is better with the family cats than the other.

A family outing to the Braves game where we were surprised by the arrival of Angel's sister Elle who lives in Colorado Springs. As some surprises go, everyone found out through different means that she was coming before she ever showed up.

Angel enjoyed a baby shower thrown by her sister Anne Marie, mother Moira, and good friend Sara.

We visited Angel's childhood friend Renee and met little Owen for the first time.

Finally, after a busy stay in Chicago we eventually got to celebrate our anniversary in Atlanta just two weeks after the actual date. We celebrated by going out to a restaurant called the Woodfire Grill. We heard about it through the TV show Top Chef because one of our favorite contestants from last season is the head chef. We enjoyed a four course gourmet meal unlike one we've had before. Here the menu changes every day because the kitchen only uses the freshest ingredients. We enjoyed a cold cucumber gazpacho soup with a cantaloupe froth, salmon tartare, pork belly with miniature clams, and melon sashimi with ginger and wasabi. We'd never tried any of these before that night and probably wouldn't have ordered them at any other restaurant, but they all ended up tasting delicious.

When our waiter found out that we were fans of Top Chef he came back with this signed picture from Kevin, the chef we really liked and co-owner of the restaurant. At the end of the meal our waiter surprised us with some truffles as a gift for our anniversary.

While I'm not really one to cherish autographs, getting the signed picture was a fun memory to add to our fifth anniversary. Also, for those who are wondering, yes, my shirt does say "I swam with the sharks," and yes, I really did. Pretty impressive don't you think? Too bad this manly activity is counteracted by a t-shirt that makes me look like a 12 year old.

4 comments:

Rachel Jones said...

haha, great to read about your summer happenings - sounds like a lot of fun times. It was great seeing you guys~~ R & J

Dstizzle said...

So many comments running through my head, but I will asert my maturity and not make fun of you on here where others may see you as I do/think less of you. We are both maturing, Nick.

One question though- you guys always fed me tacos or pizza, maybe spaghetti every once in awhile. How come I never got gozpacho or whatever??? Granted, I probably wouldn't have eaten it (that meal you described on here made me nauseous), but it would have been a nice gesture...

And sharkman... I am even more proud to know you after finding out that you had an afternoon dip with the sharks and apparently oozed with manliness so much so that they were actually afraid you would eat them, and then they gave you a shirt. Wow, you the man.

I love you guys a lot, even the squirmy one in the cooker (who will be named after me, naturally).

Sara and Tim said...

angel i love your swim suit picture, youre adorable! dont feel left out nick cause i think your shark shirt is adorable too! it was great seeing you in ga, miss you and love you both!

Al said...

Angel, you are one of my heroes. So many activities, while pregnant, and you're still smiling... and looking so great. I miss you both and so glad I got to see you this summer. I hope I get to see you (three) again next year... or whenever our paths cross again. Much love to you from South Asia!

Post a Comment