A few days ago I left some chicken boiling on the stove in preparation for the next day's dinner. We didn't have a timer, but I decided to rely on my stellar memory. Of course, I immediately forgot about it, graded a couple assignments, and then called it a night. At about 2:00 in the morning I woke up suddenly when Nick flicked on the light and said "Angel, get up. There's smoke everywhere." I followed him through a haze into the kitchen where I was horrified to see a blue flame still lit on the stove. I suddenly remembered what I'd started hours before. The water having long steamed off, the inside of the pot was unrecognizable. We pulled out the recently stored fans, opened every window to the cold night air, and tried to go back to sleep. I lay awake for a couple hours worrying about likely smoke damage and wondering if someone who could so easily start a near-fire should really be in charge of young children on a regular basis.
We spent the next few nights bathing walls and furniture in vinegar, burning scented candles, and testing our washing machine's maximum capacity. At first, the smell of smoke that greeted us every time we came home was a nagging reminder of my irresponsibility and forgetfulness. Kind of depressing. Soon, though, I imagined what could have been—an actual fire had Nick not woken up—and came to see the slowly fading fumes as a constant reminder of something else—God's protection. A week later I grow more and more thankful to our great God who does not sleep but instead looks after his children, especially the forgetful ones.
Also, thanks to our close call the school administration is going to install smoke detectors in all the volunteers' apartments.

2 comments:
Well, Angel. You are in good company with Uncle Kevin. Whenever he used to come to visit, I would assign a kid to trail him at all times because he NEVER remembered to turn the kettle off, or anything for that matter. I think this kind of thing must run in the family. Sigh. I'm just sorry you finally got yourselves some chicken and you lost both it and the pot. Love, Mom
aynj! if you wanted smoke detector's that bad you could of just asked for them, you didnt have to burn your kitchen up to make a point ;) so glad no major damage was done, God was and is truly watching over you.
Post a Comment